Free Pickup & Delivery
Silk Rug Cleaning
Silk rugs should probably be considered the royalty of the rug world. Whether your silk rug is an antique or a contemporary, it still represents the ultimate in rug crafting. No fiber, either, can match the incredible luster and feel of silk. And, while silk is one of the toughest of fibers, it is also one of the most delicate. Because silk rugs are made from a natural material, they can be more susceptible to damage by use or even indoor air pollution. If you’ve noticed that your silk rug has started to look dull and dingy, it may be time to clean it.
Cleaning Silk Rugs
The very last thing you want to do is to damage your silk rug when cleaning it, which is why this is a task best left for professionals like Smart Choice Carpet. Silk rugs need special treatment when being cleaned, and only those who have the knowledge, skill, and experience to clean these rugs competently should be entrusted with the job.
The Do’s and Don’ts of Silk Rug Cleaning
Because of the expense entailed in purchasing a silk rug, attention to the correct way of cleaning it is important. This checklist will give you some idea of what should and should not be done when cleaning silk rugs.
- Do use a slightly acidic cleaner.
- Do check to see whether there are other fibers blended into the silk, such as wool or nylon.
- Do test to make sure that the colors won’t run when the rug is cleaned.
- Don’t use a stiff brush to try to remove stains – this can permanently damage the silk fibers.
- Don’t let a wet silk rug sit for a long period of time, this will encourage mold.
If you are unable to meet the criteria for successful silk rug cleaning, perhaps it’s better to leave it to professional cleaners.